One of the most traumatic moment in a Muslim boy’s life of my time was the day he must be circumcised. In most cases, a boy must be circumcised upon reaching the age of eleven or twelve. I had mine when I was twelve while in Standard Six at the Sekolah Ismail School Two. My class teacher was one Cikgu Aziz (can’t remember his full name) who taught us Bahasa Kebangsaan.

I was in Standard Six B and was an average student. I was never intelligent but not stupid and the marks I received in most of my tests were just above the border line of 50 over 100. My worst subject was arithmetic and my best subject was history because it was stories all along and it became my favourite subject. Another of my favourite subject was singing. During my primary schooling, we had a singing lesson and the teacher was Mister Stephen Edward. I remember few of the songs we always sang like ‘Old MacDonald had a farm’ and ‘Twinkle twinkle little star’. Mr. Edward was a fine pianist and could play the piano by not looking at the notes. Sometimes after our singing lesson, he would play some of his favourite songs like Mona Lisa made famous by Nat King Cole. Mister Edward later married our Standard Three class teacher Miss Balasundram. From then on we called her Mrs. Edward.

In my earlier posting “My Days in Primary School”, I mentioned of my failure to enter Form One at the Muar High School because of my poor results in my Standard Six examination. I refused to go to other schools for my Form One and managed to get retained in Standard Six for another year because of my age. I knew why I did not get a good grade simply because I never studied. This time I was more serious in my determination to enter High School. My second year in Standard Six was very eventful and I was more serious in my study as well as other school activities. I was a school runner in the 400 meters and during the school sport, I managed to get third place in the 200 and 400 meters for my house. I was in the ‘Temenggong’ house. In the relay event of which I was one of the four, we managed also a third place. Orang Melayu kata “jadilah”. I was also a school prefect and executed my duties very well.

There was once a ‘Traffic Game’ contest participated by qualified schools in the whole of Muar town. I was a participant representing my school. There were ten of us and we practiced the game every evening at the school field and the teacher in charge apparently was our class teacher Cikgu Aziz. The contest was held at the Padang Muar Club in 1961. During the practice, we were provided with only one ‘car’ by the organizer and all of us were given the chance to sit in the car. It was made of metal and we had to peddle to move it. It was just like those ‘cars’ we played at the fun fair.

I remember the participating schools were from the Saint Andrew School, the Convent Girls School and some other schools from the Muar sub-districts.  Before the game, each one of us were given a schedule of visits such as the Post Office, the Hospital, the Market, etc. We were also given a score card and ten tickets. Each one of us had to go to these ‘places’, parked our cars and get the person in charge of each post to sign on our score cards. We had to pass some ’roundabouts’, ‘junctions’ and the right place to park our cars. To turn right, we had to show our right hand horizontally and to turn left we had to spin our right hand round. There were few ‘policemen’ who would book us for any traffic offence, and once caught we had to give the ‘policeman’ one ticket. The first round I was booked once but I can’t remember for what and our school was qualified for the final round because we received few ‘summons’.

In the final round, surprisingly all the ten of us drove home without being booked for any offences. Our school was declared a winner with one hundred percent score. Cikgu Aziz was so jubilant that he jumped so high that he almost broke his leg when touching the ground. We ran towards him to find out whether he was alright. All the other teachers from the other schools came to congratulate him.

The next morning, our headmaster Mister Gurnam Singh came to our class looking for Cikgu Aziz and after congratulating him, he suggested that the ten of us be given some form of present as an appreciation for giving our school a good name. About two days later, the ten of us were invited by Mister Gurnam Singh to a tea party at the school hall attended by few other teachers and Cikgu Aziz was beaming with pride. It was during this tea-party that each one of us were given a present each wrapped with a nice colourful wrapping paper. On the way home, I opened the wrapped present and found out it was a book by Enid Blyton  one of the “The Famous Five” series. I was so proud that I told everyone about it. I even had the urge to tell the kacang putih seller but I guess he was not too bothered.

There were few other momentous events during my repeated stay in Standard Six but the most unforgettable event was the day I was circumcised.

All the Malays in my class knew that they would soon be circumcised and the day would be somewhere during the school holidays. One week before the second term holiday, Cikgu Aziz made that frightening announcement. We were then given a chit and written on it the day and time we had to present ourselves at the Muar General Hospital. For the next few nights I had terrible nightmares.

Earlier, I asked some elders their experiences undergoing the circumcision and none had given me any good news. Some said the needle was so thick that it could bore a hard concrete cement and the scissor was so sharp it could cut a very thick leather spread. Everybody I asked presented to me such a frightening scene that I almost wanted to request for a postponement. It was my uncle Wak Jis who was very supportive. He told me that sooner or later I had to do it and so it was best that it be done now once and for all. Grandma was likewise supportive and told me that during her time, all her brothers had to do it at home with no anesthesia and so I should not be too scared. Those days bamboo tongs were used to clip the foreskin and then be chopped off; maybe by using a razor blade. It could not be an axe, could it?

The moment came. I brought along a sarong and cycled to the General Hospital with fear still dominating me. This was one journey I will never forget, a journey I wished had no end. The General Hospital was situated along Jalan Salleh and it was quite a distance from my house. It was approximately 8.15am when I started cycling and I had to be at the General Hospital by 9.00am. I knew after the circumcision I had to look for a beca (trishaw) and leave my bicycle at the hospital compound and to get someone to take it later. I knew I could not cycle home after my circumcision.

I reached the hospital at almost 9.00am and I saw two of my classmates waiting for their turn (can’t remember their names). The three of us were so scared that we did not talk to each other. Inside the operation room, one boy was undergoing the circumcision and we could hear his groan and that made us more traumatic. Few minutes later the dresser came out from the operation room and when he saw me he immediately recognized me and said:

“Aaah Din, datang nak sunat ke? (Din, are coming for your circumcision?).

I looked at him and likewise I recognized him. He was my uncle (brother of my step-mother) Pak Ghani. He was a very nice and kind person. I nodded and just smiled refusing to show the extreme fright in me and I became more at ease now knowing that someone I knew would be doing the operation.

“Pak Ghani dah habis shift, mari ikut Pak Ghani masuk” (I have done with my job, follow me to the room), he said as he held my hand into the operation room. On the way he told me not to be scared and assured me things would be alright. He said the only painful part was when the needle would be injected and even then it was just like the bite of an ant. That was indeed  reassuring.

Inside the room, a new dresser had just entered and beginning to prepare all the necessary instruments for his job. Pak Ghani then said to him:

“Ni anak sedara aku, nak sunat. Tolong sunatkan baik baik” (This is my nephew coming for his circumcision. Please have him circumcised with care). The new dresser smiled and nodded and he kept on preparing all his instruments to be well in place. I then knew Pak Ghani would not be doing the job and that made me unhappy but I didn’t show.

I was asked to sit on a chair before the operation started. Pak Ghani then bade me goodbye and I thanked him. The trauma in me was beginning to be more worse but I tried to console myself and kept on praying for the better.

Then the moment that had made me having sleepless nights began. This was it and it took approximately half an hour to complete. During that half an hour, I had my eyes closed throughout the ‘ordeal’. I must insist that when the needle touched my skin it was extremely painful and later I could not feel anything. This is no need to explain in detail how the operations went but it was a truly an unpleasant event that I never wish to be repeated.

When it was all over, I had my sarong on and walked slowly towards the entrance of the hospital. I sat at the bench quietly and thinking how to go back home. I did not seem to notice any beca around. I was beginning to worry because obviously I could not cycle home. Few minutes later, I saw my uncle Wak Sheh (Sheikh Muhammad) coming and he was smiling seeing me sitting alone with my sarong. He had just arrived from Tangkak and upon hearing from grandma that I was at the hospital to undergo my circumcision, he immediately drove to the hospital to look for me. It was very kind of him to come over and to bring me home. Wak Sheikh married my auntie Mak Jah (Azizah bt Abdul Hamid) and he was an Arab descent. He was a headmaster in one of the schools in Tangkak, the same school my auntie was teaching. During school holidays, he would bring me to Tangkak to spend the time with his family. Their first born was Salim, about three years my junior and he was my playmate. Their second child was a girl named Narimah and after her was Zulkifli whose family name was “Toy”.

On the way home, Wak Sheh drove his car slowly avoiding any possible bumps ahead because he did not want me to feel any uneasiness. While driving he kept telling me that soon everything would be alright and in a week’s time I could even run. Such a wonderful man my uncle Wak Sheh was.

Later (I can’t remember) someone had gone to the hospital to ride back the bicycle I rode on.

Back home, the bed was ready for me and they had tight a sarong with a rope and the rope’s end was at the ceiling above my bed. I lay down and covered my lower part with the sarong. Grandma said I must refrain from eating all kinds of food, in other word kena pantang and I took heed all her advice. Three hours later I could feel the pain coming and it was unbearable. I remember the dresser gave me some pills to take whenever I felt any pain. So every time I felt the pain, I would take the pills and that really helped. It was always during the middle of the night that the pain kept coming and I would cry alone controlling the unbearable pain.

The next morning I did my own dressing and it took me almost an hour. For the next one month I would spend some time in the toilet doing my dressing…yes one month. When school reopened, I was still not recovered but I noticed almost all my Malay friends who had their circumcision done was running around while I still had to walk very slowly. My good Chinese friend Eddie was very supportive and would sit besides me and buy for me anything I wanted at the tuck-shop. Much as I can remember, it took me almost one and a half month for me to recover and to be fully healed.

When I took my son for his circumcision sometime in the early nineties, he was already playing football a week after. Looking back on the days when I had mine, medical facilities were not as good as they are now. You can’t blame our elders those days for not wanting to go to the hospitals. Even having to pull one rotten tooth was a torturous moment. If we could gather all those instruments the doctors/dentists used in the early sixties and have them displayed, I think even today’s generations would not dare to go to the hospitals.

To those who circumcised, we are not alone. More than  two third of the male population worldwide are circumcised and I am glad I am.

Studies show that circumcision reduces the infection rate of HIV by 38-66%. The World Health Organization (WHO) campaign slogan “Go Circumcised” recommends considering circumcision as part of its programme to combat HIV. Furthermore circumcision reduces HSV-2 infection by 28% and reduced the UTIs and penile cancer.

So young boys of twelve who are yet to be circumcised; don’t worry, be happy.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.


  1. Harith says:

    In the 60s when plastic or plastic bottles has yet to be seen, medicines be it pills, cough syrup or oitments was dispensed to patients in the most primitive manner.

    Pills are wrapped in paper and ubat sapu comes wrapped and folded ala nasi lemak style in brown greasy paper. For liquids for ubat batuk or ubat cacing, we have to bring small glass bottles from home or purchase it at the hospital itself at maybe 5 or 10 sen each and place it on the medicine dispensing counter and wait for our name to be called. Drinking ubat cacing is one thing and two or three hours atter that is another big issue!

    That also reminds me of something else…that if we were to buy roti canai to take home from the Mamak restaurant, they will use the Susu Chap Junjung or Susu Chap Teko empty tin cans to fill in the Dhal curry

    Quite aptly Tuan, Selamat Menyambut Ramadan al Mubarak to you and family!

    • Selamat Menyambut Ramadan al Mubarak to you and your family too. Although we have not met, I am glad we have become friends in cyberspace. God bless and salam hormat.

    • Lolong G Mali says:

      We can still have hot Kopi Susu drink served in cans for take away order. There are Kopi shops in operation that I know of in Mor. For some reasons, the operator is obliged for adjustment upon request although served in plastic holders are casually handy.

      I think the obligation is traditionally more for an old times sake. More to that, the operators perhaps ensuing the parentage foot steps of their departed.  This is to avoid ancestry damnation and in the same breath to avoid discourteous manners to the customers.

      The era in the 60s left us with much memories donating to our individual created history. At times, we are longing for that era of cheerfulness underlined our uncorrupted minds, wishing for the time-capsule to bring us back in time.

      For me, trips to Mor regularly are my time-capsules and cans of Kopi Susu to take away have been the events of continuity. This is one of the consolations to ease my longings for the 60s. 

      Selamat bershahur dan selamat berpuasa esok hari.

  2. Lolong G Mali says:

    There were all sorts of stories about circumcision. As we moved on to standard six more discouraging imaginary tales about the near event of being circumcised.

    The tales went on telling that our Pipit will be totally cut off. I could hardly imagine how it would be then. It was really scary event to imagine when we were of that age.

    Bamboo tongs will be used to clip our foreskin and then be chopped off. I wondered with what?  sharp knife or maybe scissors. The scissors that I pictured off was of my mother’s. Many would commonly agreed that the utensil could be an axe. My goodness gracious, that was murderous! 

    The fictitious tales about circumcision was a scary conjecture as I remembered. Knowing that I could not get away with it and no way of escaping, it was physiologically torturous.

    At times, I tried to avoid circumcision but with intense persuasion and convincing by my parents, I bravely told  myself, “let get it done with”. At last, I got over it with no regret and happy that I was circumcised. And always tell myself, I am a Man in kind of plastic surgery. 

    To those who circumcised, we are not alone. More than two third of the males population worldwide are circumcised. I wonder the rest of the population who are not circumcised as happy as I am. 

    We should be the most elated active men alive. Studies show that circumcision reduces the infection rate of HIV by 38-66%. The WHO( World Health Organization) campaign slogan  ‘Go Circumcised’. The organization recommends considering circumcision as part of its program to combat HIV. Further more, circumcision reduces HSV-2 infection by 28% and reduced the UTIs and penile cancer.

    What ever it worths, circumcision is hygienic. I am glad I am circumcised. I hope you are glad too, Din.

    Ramadhan Kareem Al’Mubarak, Selamat Berpuasa.

    • Thank you for the info.

      But it still can’t match the info I am looking for wondering who might you be? Someone I must know with no ‘friendly title’? Looking forward for the day we’re going to bump each other, and until that time comes at least it will keep my brain working.

      Salam Ramadan al Mubarak to you and your family.

  3. A Rahman Omar says:

    Abang cerita pasal Ismail School, Saint Andrews, Convent and High School. Saya belajar di Sekolah Kebangsaan Lelaki Parit Kadzi, next to your school. Kami rasa kerdil bila dengar budak Ismail School cakap orang putih. People equate “Englishness” with intelligence. Kesihan orang yang tak pergi sekolah Inggeris. Two of my sisters went to SMC (Special Malay Class). I looked forward to sitting for SMC Test. Unfortunately SMC was discontinued when I reached Standard 3. I have to wait another three years. Then I went to Remove Class at Parit Raja. The school was just changed from Sekolah Lanjutan (for those who did not do well in standard 6) to a normal High School.

    • Pengalaman Rahman di bangku sekolah ketika umur 7 hingga 12 tahun tidak boleh menjadi ukuran sebagai jauh ketinggalan atau tidak setaraf. Kita masing masing mempunyai perjalanan hidup yang berbeza. Ada yang cemerlang di waktu kecil tetapi gagal bila dewasa dan sebaliknya.

      From your brief, you had quite a colourful primary school experiences. Sebenarnya saya sendiri tidak tahu adanya sekolah seperti SMC di Bandar Muar. Cuma yang saya tahu sekolah sekolah seperti Ismail School tetapi bertempat di luar kawasan Bandar Muar.

      Your info has increased my knowledge. Thank you.

      Salam Ramadan al Mubarak dan Selamat Berpuasa.

  4. Mohamed Mahmood says:

    Bro Din, Miss Balasundrum married to Mr Charle Chua not to Mr Edward. Mr Charle Chua sister Miss Chua (The most beautiful teacher) married to En Aman Karim and today known as Puan Soraya. Puan Soraya is still as beautiful as she is in the 50th. En Aman Karim is Malaya Hokey Captain at the Olyimpic in Melbourne Australia 1956.

    • I honestly thought Miss Balasundram married Mr Edawrd and later we all called her Mrs. Edward.

      We called Miss Chua as the Sandra Dee of Muar. She was truly pretty. I know she got married to En. Aman Karim.

  5. Mohamed Mahmood says:

    Bro Din, orang Muar gemar memberi nama lain kpd sesaorang sehingga orang tak tahu nama sebenarnya. Contohnya: Hamzah Hj Omar jadi Amir Mak Som. Abdullah Omar jadi Hashim Tok Mat. Zakaria Lamden jadi Mena, Abu Bakar Sarajudin jadi Tin, Suleiman Abdullah jadi Net, Ariff Majid jadi Hang Tuah! Daeng Othman jadi Tobeng, Suleiman Ismail jadi Sobot, Zakaria Mohamed jadi Awang, Mustaffa Bidin jadi Neng, Ismail Bidin jadi Yat dan banyak lagi. Selamat menunaikan Ibadah puasa di bulan Ramathan yg mulia dgn mendapat taufik hidayah rahmah nikmah Dan barakah Dari Allah.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s